CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday 20 April 2011

CN Tower Climb


Classified as one of the seven wonders of the world and the tallest tower, the CN Tower is a BEAST! It towers over Toronto and I think people like me take it for granted since I've lived in the GTA for most of my life. I've visited it as a child and an adult, I've seen it from the highway, I've seen it on the horizon (it's really cool on a nice, clear day how far away you can be from Toronto and still see the tower) and I've walked by it while downtown a million times. This is a marvel that people come from all over the world just to see how amazing it is and recently I finally understand how truly amazing it really is myself.

On Saturday April 16th WWF hosted its annual climb where almost 5000 people lined up to climb the CN Tower's stairwell - Pat and I were 2 of those people. When I was overweight the thought of any type of stairs was a nightmare for me. Even bringing the laundry up our stairs to our bedroom would leave me winded. Fast forward 9 months and I'm in line to climb the worlds tallest tower.... 1776 steps and about 144 storeys.  

We unfortunately didn't plan that weekend very well and were in Niagara Falls for a hockey tournament for Pat. We had to be up at 4am to make it to Toronto before 6am to beat the crowds. I could have killed the people on Pat's team as they decided that Friday night was party night and that knocking on our door was a novel idea all night - I probably got an hour of sleep so I was rather grouchy when our wake-up call came in at 4am. My nerves were so shot from the lack of sleep and general nervousness about the climb that I was a wreck all morning, I felt sick and I'm pretty sure Pat was ready to climb by himself with all my complaining that morning... but he's just too amazing, he stuck with me and kept trying to make me smile through all my complaints. The lineups were pretty long even at 6am but in comparison to later in the day I'm sure we made it through in rocket time. We finally got to the tower where you're greeted with some pretty crazy security and some more lineups.

When we FINALLY made it to the opening of the stairwell and we got our time cards stamped we were ready to sprint the first 30 floors... but wouldn't you know it, a handicapped group had gotten in before us and were using both sides of the railings to climb. I thought it was SO amazing that they were making the climb with their disabilities but I was a little irritated as we waited, and waited and waited and the clock was ticking, there wasn't much of an opportunity to pass. At that point we had added at least 3-4 mins to our time but I was so amazed with their determination that I tried not to let the time loss get me down. Then we sprinted, and got up past floor 30 and then the leg burn started, 10 more flights and the lung fire started and I have to say, you can practice on a stairclimber all you want, NOTHING prepares you for the challenge. It's so much harder when it's a real stairwell but the benefit of it being such a public event there are people resting on landings who cheer you on and you cheer them on, paramedics to remind you to take it easy and little posters on each story painted by kids of tigers, polar bears and little inspirational slogans like "just take one more step".

If it wasn't for Pat I might have given up several times, the nausea set in around floor 100 and with the leg burn and the lung fire I was ready to just sit and give up but he stayed behind me - literally had to push me a few times and he sacrificed his own personal goal just to finish with me. Once I saw floor 140 I was so excited and at floor 142 the stairwell changes and you climb in fresher air as the stairwell opens up. There are people there to stamp your time card and WOO HOO, you've climbed the CN Tower.. but oh, by the way, before you can take the elevator down you have to climb an additional 10 storeys... CRAP! I was wearing my Biggest Loser shirt that my best friend had given me that has a Jillian quote saying "Unless you faint, puke or die KEEP WALKING" and as I sulked looking at the next flight of stairs the paramedic read my shirt and cheered me on to listen to my shirt and suck it up and just finish the climb. She was really funny.

My personal goal was a hopeful 25 minutes but I felt that anything under 30 minutes would be an acceptable time, Pat's goal was under 20 minutes, hopefully 17 minutes. We finished in 28:30 which is definitely under the 30-40 minute average climbers time but Pat really sacrificed his time for me (he really is amazing, I guess that's why I'm marrying him.. haha), I managed to reach one of my goals so I'm pretty happy and who knows how long we were delayed at the beginning, we might have cleared the 25 minutes... we won't know until next time!

Going back down to the ground in a see through elevator might be some peoples idea of amazing but with my severe nausea I nearly puked and had to turn around... I think I freaked a lady out who looked a little shocked haha I didn't puke on her though, no worries! You exit the elevator and there's volunteers and people cheering, it's pretty cool, you really feel like you've accomplished something pretty great. Once we got back down to the ground and started walking back to the atrium I took a look up and this is what I saw...


We just climbed that. Yep. All the way to the top. I nearly cried when the sheer amazement of our accomplishment set in. Who freaking CARES how long it took, we climbed that when 9 months ago I barely could get up our stairs at our house! Wow. 

I have a huge problem with setting big goals or challenges for myself (as you can see with my very flexible climbing goal time) and you might too but all I can say is jump in with both feet and you might surprise yourself. Join a 5K, join in the next CN Tower climb, try a mini-triathalon - Try SOMETHING. Whatever your time, you will have a sense of accomplishment that will leave you glowing.

I'm totally in for the next climb, I think it's in November, but I think this time if Pat wants to try to reach his goal I'll be okay by myself. As much as I loved crossing the finish line with him at my side I know inside he wishes he could have got a better time so next time, I'll encourage him to achieve it! I don't want to be the reason that he has to move slower.. but..  NEXT time, I'll be under 25 minutes :) Will I see you there?

0 comments:

Post a Comment