CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 5 April 2011

A funny thing about weight loss.

I'm watching the Biggest Loser right now (of course!! my favourite show ever) and Brett just put Courtney on the same plan that I am. The HUGEST contradiction to weight loss I've EVER experienced!

Eat more. Work out less. That's it. Confusing isn't it!

Now okay, in all fairness it isn't THAT simple. I still workout a lot, and the extra food is just a few 100 extra calories in the form of protien and healthy snacks. But it still goes against everything we learn about losing weight! It's all about the 'shock' factor. You have to change it up so your body stops working against you.

When I really got into a groove with working out and eating better I was working out every day (all 7 days every week) for atleast an hour if not 2 or 3. I would get up and do a workout DVD and then later when Pat got home I would go to the gym with him and sometimes in between there I would take Max for a run. I was doing all this eating roughly 600-900 less calories a day than I should. For the first few months I was dropping weight like there was no tomorrow. Then the weight just sorta wanted to stay... I was losing inches and building muscle and going through typical plateau "symptoms" but after a while the plateau just wasn't going away. So after speaking with friends and my trainer about it we all came to the conclusion that I wasn't feeding my body for the amount of exercise I expected out of it!

So after fiddling with my calories and figuring out what I should be doing physically I came up with my new plan! Workout less. Eat more! I now workout 5-6 days a week for usually no more than an hour (but 2 - 3 hours can still happen) and I added 300 calories to my day. BOOM! Weight started coming off again by my next week weigh in! It's been a few weeks now and the weight isn't flying off anymore but it's steadily going down.

Lesson learned: Your body expects to be surprised.

How much do you bet me that in a few more weeks I will have to change it up again. My plan will be to keep my calories the same but to bump up some of my workouts to high intensity. That meaning, when I do squats, I'll do jumping squats or when doing weights, I'll do them while doing step ups or multitasking (standing on one foot etc).

So if you're stuck in a plateau or you're frustrated just remember that your body can be your own worst enemy. It gets lazy and starts working against you - you push it and it replies with "meh".

So when your body is telling you "meh" - change it up!! Try a new activity, try a different eating pattern, I assure you, your body will wake up and get running again :)

2 comments:

EXerazer

DO BURPEES!!!!!! Burpees kill... do like 30!

Zack Lynch

Hi Lisa,

I'm the founder of HealthRally, a new software company focused on health motivation. I found you via your tweets and blog, so I'm assuming you are health-oriented, tech savvy and like to try new things.

We are looking for people just like you to try HealthRally and give us feedback before we bring it to the public. HealthRally is a private social network where you choose a health goal, pick a reward that could motivate you, and then invite your close friends and family to cheer you on and motivate you to succeed with pledges.

It's a new approach, and we are seeing our first group of users achieve their goals and have a bunch of fun in the process.

We'd love for you to give it a go! Can I send you a private link to sign in and try it? Just send me a note at zack@healthrally.com.

Thanks!

Zack

Post a Comment